During the end of April and early May of this year, at the request of ILTA Knowledge Management Vice President, Catherine Monte, NPCI asked the directors of the NLJ 250 to respond to a survey regarding how their firms were approaching CI. With 77 firms responding, we received the following results.
- 75.4% are performing some type of competitive intelligence with another 8.8% not doing so yet but are in the planning phase
- 12.3% have a formal CI program
- 39.3% have management or executive committee endorsement
- 61.5% are seeing the CI request increasing with 7.7% decreasing and 28.2% remaining steady
- 23.7% are seeing funding for CI increasing with 7.9% decreasing and 55.3% remaining steady
- 49% of those doing CI research report to the library with 16.3% reporting to marketing, 20.4% reporting to Library/Marketing, 2% reporting to practice group leaders and 20.4% undefined
The following list of resources are those that reporting firms are using to do CI research:
Resources Used In NLJ 250 Law firms for Competitive Intelligence
|Incisive Legal Intelligence||OneSource
We will be posting additional information from the survey at a future date. In the meantime, we would love to get your feedback on this information including resources you use that are not on the list above.
~ Nina Platt